Monday, April 05, 2004

"Home" again

Not sure where my home is, really. I called my grandmother to say, "I'm leaving home now; expect me in 7 hours." When I got here, I called my mom to say, "I'm home safely." Jackson sure recognized his first home. He was eager to get out of the car and ran around the yard checking up on everything. He even remembered the neighbor dog and wagged at her just like he did when he was a smaller puppy, even though he's bigger than her now. He'll probably sleep inside (in his crate) with me. He has a kennel outside but he'll spend enough time in that while I'm at school or work. Going down the long, narrow flight of stairs doesn't seem to be a problem. I was shocked when he turned around at the top of the stairs and went right back down. I didn't have to coax or encourage him at all. Currently he's laying down at my feet and Meth is on top of the computer monitor. Whenever I say, "Oh what a good boy Jackson," Methyl starts purring and comes over to be pet. =) They both recognize my tone, though I doubt Methyl will ever learn to ignore things I say to Jackson. Jackson sure knows Methyl's name. I made the drive wearing half a pair of sunglasses. Well, both lenses were in, but the arm on the left side broke off. So my right ear and nose did all the work in holding them to my face. I felt like I was wearing those glasses that people used to hold on little poles and hold them up to their eyes and peer down their nose at you. Apparently the very large and very plastic broken sunglasses weren't enough to discourage a car full of guys from Washington from noticing me and my traveling menagerie. They honked to get my attention and held up a sign that said "YOU'RE HOT" and I laughed at them. I guess that's one way to pass the time. Jackson also drew some attention when we stopped at the rest areas. He was a ferocious guard dog (barking/growling) until he got out of the car. Once he was out, he was too busy running around and smelling things to notice anyone else. A couple people asked about his leg (or lack of one) so I told them. Seems like he's a great conversation starter! His hips don't appear to be bothering him, but I'm watching closely. The vet said swimming is exceptionally good for him. I don't know how to keep him from swimming in circles, =), but hopefully I can find a place that we can regularly visit to keep him exercised without putting too much or unequal strain on any one of his legs. I start school tomorrow and I don't even know what time I have to be there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home